Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Today I rocked my 14 year old sick baby girl by the fire...I could not have dont that 6 months ago...I have a lap!

Today I Rocked My 14 Year Old Sick Baby Girl by the Fire!

When Dave and I were on our honey moon, one of our first purchases was a rocking chair.  I had always loved to be rocked and knew that I wanted one.  We bought it in Niagara Falls on our trip and stuffed it in our car to come home. As I placed it in my home, I knew that one day I would rock my babies in that chair.  As each child came.  I would hold them in my arm, rock them and sing to them.  It was a special time.  A time to unwind, relax, and just bond with my children. As they got older, I would rock them and read to them.  I loved the special bonding time that chair gave.  Five years ago we had a house fire.  We lost most of our furniture...all of our possessions.  In the hustle and bustle of rebuilding the house...the rocking chair was never replace...the kids were older, I had forgotten the magic of the rocking chair.  As I gained weight, I no longer had a lap for them to sit on...so I did not think about replacing it. 

Last September my mother went to be with the Lord...we have been working on dividing up the house, and choosing things that we wanted.  Without thinking about it I said I wanted the rocking chair.  Two days ago my sister delivered it to my house.  As I placed it in my living room, tears came to my eyes.  There was a piece of mom in my living room.  I pulled it over by the fire and started to rock....I felt such peace, joy and contentment! 

This morning Rachael came down for school and she was sick.  She had a fever and a horrible cough.   I gave her medicine, got her her bathrobe and her slippers and sat down in the rocking chair.  She instantly crawled into my lap.  As I rocked my 14 year old baby I realized...I could not have done that six months ago.  I had such a big stomach....that we would not have fit in that rocking chair together.  I held my baby girl, as I had done so many times when she was little and felt the magic of the rocking chair take over once again.  I was able to love her and comfort her in a way that I have not in years.  Thank you mom for the gift of the rocking chair.  I have a feeling it will be with me for many years.  Perhaps, I can rock and sing to my grandchildren and then teach them the magic of the rocking chair.

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen, this was absolutely beautiful. I think this is one of the best things you've written. Much love and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete